If you wish to create a fun and flirty look by drawing attention towards your eyes, then mascara can serve as a safe bet. Makeup mavens treat this magical beauty product as the perfect choice for lengthening and adding volume to your lashes. Regardless of the level of finesse in your eyeshadow application, it remains impossible to add depth to your eyes without the backing of a proper mascara.
It is also necessary to gain knowledge about proper mascara application so that you don’t end up with spider lashes. This is why we have come up with expert prescribed tips of how to apply mascara like a pro.
Selecting The Right Mascara
With a large variety of mascara available in the market, it might get pretty tasking to take the end decision. You can, however, base your research on the following parameters:
- Color – The market is filled with various types of mascara shades to cater to your specific requirements. Black is the most popular option as it can brighten and open up your eyes. You should, however, opt for brown shades if you have blonde hair as that will make the mascara less pretentious.
- Formula – It can be pretty intimidating to take your call between curling, lengthening, volumizing and thickening options. Lengthening mascara can serve you best if you wish for longer lashes whereas volumizing ones can lead to fuller ones. It is best to opt for mascaras which can do both at a time so that you don’t have to invest in two different products.
- Waterproof – This is another important consideration which can determine your choice of mascara. Ladies who are prone to sweating or wish for their mascara to stay put throughout the day should opt for waterproof mascara.
These mascaras also ensure that your lashes stay curled for long after being subjected to an eyelash curler. However, in such a case you will also have to invest in a good makeup remover which can scrape off all signs of the mascara without coming off as too harsh on the eyes.
If you suffer from eye sensitivity or wear contact lenses, then it is advisable to opt for a hypoallergenic mascara for buffering you from all chances of irritations.
Steps To Be Followed While Applying Mascara
- For starters, you will have to curl your lashes using a lash curler. While talking about how to apply mascara like a pro, makeup mavericks advocate placing the curler at the base of your upper lashes before closing the curler and holding it static for a few seconds.
- Next, you will have to swirl the mascara wand around the tube to coat the bristles properly with mascara. Herein, you should be careful about not repeatedly pumping your wand into the tube as this causes the mascara to dry out faster by pushing air inside the tube.
- If you are pondering over how to apply mascara like a pro, then you will have to follow a wriggling motion starting at the roots. This imparts greater volume to your roots without causing your lashes to weigh down.
- The same step has to be followed with the lower lashes which are smaller and sparser. This is why you can also proceed with a lightweight mascara or a wand having smaller bristles for catering to your lower lashes.
- You can comb out your lashes using a clean wand to remove all excess mascara clumps layered on them.
- Next, you will again have to apply another mascara coat which actually depends on whether or not you wish to enhance the volume of your lashes.
- A few minutes resting time has to be allowed so that the mascara can dry down completely. You can again use the lash curler to impart additional curling although this step is entirely discretionary.
Tips To Apply Mascara
- If you are thinking about how to apply mascara like a pro, then you need to curl your lashes both before applying the mascara and after it has dried down. You can puff your lashes with some translucent powder prior to applying mascara for that extra thick lash look.
- The mascara brush should not be coated in a pumping action as that causes air to flow inside the tube alongside airborne bacteria. Alternatively, you can coat the wand at once and apply the same starting with downward motion over the top lashes. This has to be performed by keeping your eyes closed and followed up by horizontal coats after opening them up.
- Coming to the lower lashes, you need to follow a zigzag motion in horizontal directions. The excess mascara can be wiped off using a tissue paper for preventing further clumps.
- While deciding on how to apply mascara like a pro, we usually settle for a single coat of the same. However, the trick here lies in wiggling it for that “oomph” factor. You will have to wiggle only the tip of your top lashes using the mascara and dry it off completely before wiggling the mascara wand through the entire lash body.
Your lashes get lifted outwards coupled with the extra mascara lined at the tips which leads to a lengthening illusion while glamming up your eyes.
- Alternatively, you can keep your eyes closed and hold the mascara wand tightly at one corner in a manner similar to eyeliner. Next, you will have to pull the mascara outward from the down lashes. On opening up your eyes, you will have to apply mascara carefully starting from the bottom to the top lashes. This has to be followed by another round of the same applied in a zig-zag manner. After you are done applying mascara, you should allow it a resting time of about 15 to 30 seconds before combing your lashes with a clean wand for that super-defined and sexy look.
- You can also opt for colored mascaras in the shades of purple, green, orange and even wine red for that trendy eye look. Although this one is definitely tricky to pull off, the end result looks pretty gorgeous. You can easily swipe on some blue mascara and follow it up with a strip of dark false lashes for skipping your smokey eye routine.
If you are running late for a presentation with zero time for makeup but still wish to do that special something which can bring you to center stage, then a dash of mascara can come to your rescue. You can easily match mascara with a nude lip color from that seamlessly well-fashioned look.